Thursday, March 5, 2009

Getting a Motorcycle: Part Deux


My trip to the 2009 Carole Nash Motorbike & Scooter Show wasn't all business. Yes, my plan was to just go there and take a look at some of the bikes i've been thinking about, but I got caught up in some of the fun. It was a great event with a lot of the major manufacturers there (except Kawasaki, which was a bummer), they had stunting, girls dancing and dirt track racing. Not to mention I was able to meet Simon Pavey, who is most famous for the TV series Race To Dakar in which he trained Charley Boorman to race off-road and then compete in the Lisbon to Dakar rally in 2006.


All fun aside I planned on checking out the Yamaha XT125, the Yamaha WR250, the Yamaha XJ6n and a couple Kawa's but they couldn't be bothered to attend which seems to be a trend with Kawasaki at the moment. I didn't realize the sheer size of some of these bikes, they were huge, especially the Yamaha WR250. Looking at them on TV and in a magazine isn't enough to make a decision because the size and the weight can't be described well enough until you sit on the actual bike. But after a couple hours looking around and talking with some of the experts there the Yamaha XT125 looks to be the winner. I talked to a guy who has one second hand so it looks like all I'm waiting for at the moment is to get a job and then I will be the proud owner of a Yamaha (hopefully no one buys it between now and when I intend to purchase it).

I must also say that I fell in love with a couple other bikes while looking around, most notably the Harley Davidson 883 Nightster. Don't worry I made a quick video of my time at the motorbike show just incase you missed out!

No comments:

Post a Comment